Lien Sales

There are many scenarios in which you may need to put a lien on a vehicle.

If a person has repaired, furnished supplies or materials, towed or stored a vehicle AND has not been paid for the services rendered, that person has a lien against the vehicle. The lien arises at the time the registered owner is presented with a written statement of charges for completed work or services.

If the vehicle is towed by a public agency or private towing company, the lien arises when the vehicle is towed or transported. The lien may be satisfied by selling the vehicle through the lien sale process.

To conduct a lien sale, the person/lienholder must have possession of the vehicle and have lien sale authorization from DMV. Interested parties, including the registered and legal owners of record, will be notified before the sale occurs. (Source: California DMV)

How will a lien sale help?
  • A lien sale could help you if you have unwanted vehicles on your property and the owner will not pay for repairs or has abandoned the vehicle.
  • You can keep/remove unwanted/abandoned vehicles from your property
  • You may be able to sell or auction unwanted/abandoned vehicles
  • You may be able to collect payment from the customer
What will I need?
  1. Possession of the vehicle
  2. Date of possession
  3. VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)
  4. Engine number (motorcycles)
  5. If you are claiming repairs/costs, you will need the Bureau of Automotive Repair Number (B.A.R.)
Salvage Titles

In California, to get a salvage title, the vehicle must have been involved in an accident or incurred considerate damages from another source that was to such an extent that the insurance company considered it too expensive to repair.

Questions? Contact Us

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    Call Us Now For a Free Quote

    Hablamos español